BEST GLOBAL HEALTH CLINIC 2020
Dr. Wim Kes
“Look well to the spine for
the cause of disease.”
“There is a vast difference
between treating the effects
and adjusting the cause.”
Dr. D.D. Palmer
"THE DOCTOR OF THE FUTURE WILL GIVE NO MEDICINE BUT
WILL INTEREST HIS PATIENTS IN THE CARE OF THE HUMAN FRAME,
IN DIET AND THE CAUSE AND PREVENTION OF DISEASE"
WEALTH IS HEALTH"
"THE NERVOUS SYSTEM CONTROLS AND COORDINATES
ALL ORGANS AND STRUCTURES OF THE HUMAN BODY"
Chiropractic adjustment has various applications. From the treatment of chronic pain and pre-existing conditions to early or sudden onset pain. Perhaps most frequently cited, sufferers of back and neck pain, sciatica, migraines and more have found relief from chiropractic medicine.
In fact, many medical doctors recommend that their patients seek chiropractic care for a variety of conditions before seeking more invasive measures such as surgery. This sentiment was (echoed by the American Medical Association) as recently as 2013 (1).
Relieving Back and Neck Pain
Roughly 80% of adults have experienced back pain at some point. (In a study by Consumer Reports), 14,000 sufferers were surveyed. None of these individuals had undergone back surgery of any type. By the end of the study, Chiropractic adjustment was rated as the #1 treatment option (2).
In a similar (study conducted by the Annals of Internal Medicine), 272 patients experiencing recent onset neck pain were treated using three different methods:
· Regular Chiropractic Adjustments
At the conclusion of the twelve-week study, patients who underwent regular chiropractic adjustments were twice as likely to be pain free as those who were treated with medication (3). (Further research demonstrates) the validity of chiropractic adjustments as easily seen via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) (4).
Patients with lower back pain often experience limited mobility in the lumbar spine region that produces degeneration as well as adhesions within the joints of the vertebrae. When patients received an MRI scan following a chiropractic adjustment, the imaging showed an increase in spinal gapping. This breaks up the adhesions, allows the joints to move freely, and lead to a reduction in pain.
Headaches and Migraines
Chronic head pain, including migraines is another common condition that chiropractic adjustment can provide relief for. Through manipulation, chiropractic medicine is able to relieve pressure off of the nerves and provide relief. Headache and migraine sufferers may find long-term relief with continued adjustments, resulting in lessening the severity of symptoms or the frequency of onset.
There is also published research showing the validity of these treatment options. In an (Australian study that tracked 127 migraine sufferers), those who received regular chiropractic adjustments reported a decrease in migraine attacks as well as the need to take less medication (5)
Considering the rising costs of healthcare, specifically prescription medication, mitigating pharmaceutical costs can provide extra benefits.
In Support of Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care is becoming increasingly more widespread. Support from medical research and organizations such as The American Medical Association, as well as high profile supporters such as Tiger Woods, Jerry Rice, Aaron Rodgers have helped bring the treatments into the mainstream.
Today, Chiropractic medicine is practiced all over the world, and is an increasingly popular as well as effective form of treatment for a variety of conditions, including but not limited to the ones mentioned above.
· Utilizing chiropractic adjustments for treatment of back pain may help save Medicare costs by more than $80 million per year.
· Back pain sufferers whose first point of treatment included a medical doctor or surgeon, went on to receive surgery 42.7% of the time. For sufferers who sought chiropractic adjustment first, surgery only occurred 1.5% of the time.
· Chronic pain sufferers who sought treatment through chiropractic adjustment experienced a 20% reduction in overall care costs.
Is Chiropractic Adjustment Right for You?
The effectiveness of chiropractic adjustment in treating chronic and recent onset conditions is supported through research, scientific study, as well as patients just like you. If you are suffering from pain or discomfort in your neck, back, joints, or elsewhere, contact a well qualified Chiropractor near you.
2. The Consumer Reports Health Ratings Center. 2013
3. Gert Bronfort, DC, PhD; Roni Evans, DC, MS; Alfred V. Anderson, DC, MD; Kenneth H. Svendsen, MS; Yiscah Bracha, MS; Richard H. Grimm, MD, MPH, PhD. Spinal Manipulation, Medication, or Home Exercise With Advice for Acute and Subacute Neck Pain: A Randomized Trial
4. Cramer GD, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging zygaphosphyseal joint space changes (gapping) in low back pain patients following spinal manipulation and side-posture positioning: a randomized controlled mechanisms trial with blinding. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 2013; pii: S0161-4754(13)00055-9.
5. Tuchin. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Chiropractic Spinal Manipulative Therapy for Migraine, Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 2000